History of Calvary Chapel
Pastor Billy was ordained by Pastor Bob Coy of Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale http://www.calvaryftl.org/ in April of 1993 after the Lord called him to Asheville, North Carolina to start a church. Before selling their home in Florida or having a home to move into in Asheville, the family packed up and moved. They were hesitant coming to a city so saturated with churches (“there are giants in the land”*), but God’s calling was so clear and evident that, had they not come they knew they would be in disobedience to God’s calling. The Lord comforted and encouraged Pastor Billy and his wife through the scriptures and their devotionals** which the Lord used as a foundation for this ministry earlier in July of 1992 while visiting in Asheville for the first time to “Spy out the Land”*.
Once in Asheville, even the selection of the apartment where they would live, displayed divine intervention. The apartment they moved into would eventually serve as employment for Billy, their apartment was children’s church and the clubhouse was the original home for Calvary Chapel church services during that first year and a half in Asheville.
Pastor Billy was hooked and burdened with the calling to teach God’s Word, chapter by chapter, verse by verse. During the first year here in Asheville , the Lord confirmed the need for this calling, when an elderly woman attending a bible study at the Cove said, “I wish our churches taught through the bible like this.”
“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” — Hebrews 4:12
While we persevered in the sound teaching through the Word that first year and a half, the church was able to save just enough money to renovate a dilapidated building at 30 London Road. That building was the place where we had church for several years and it was the place where the inception of different community services began in Asheville. One, the Calvary Food Ministry (CFM) has served to meet community needs as well as national disaster relief efforts. Calvary Chapel has also served to aid terrorism victims, hurricane victims and flood victims.
As a church family we have made many joyful memories. It is always an exciting adventure trusting the Lord.
All the while, each day when we walked through the doors of that church building; we noticed another property across the street in extreme disrepair. We came to find the property was owned by the USDA Forestry Services. We had a desire to remain out of debt as a church, so funds could always be allocated to the ministry of the church, community and the nation in its need. It took us five years and eventually an act of Congress in our nation’s capital, to in fact retain ownership of the former Civilian Conservation Corps Camp owned by the US Forestry, located near the historic Biltmore Village. That property has afforded us many opportunities for ministry to our community, the nation and internationally. We still own that property, but through an intricately woven set of circumstances, the Lord has directed our steps to move our congregation to Mills River .
We are currently at 5516 Boylston Highway.
Other cool footnotes of confirmation of God’s presence through the teaching of His Word: We noticed on the date of our 15th anniversary as a church, the culmination of completing the New Testament for the third time and the Old Testament for the first. We couldn’t have planned that if we tried.
“There we saw the giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants); and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.” Numbers 13:33
Then Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said to them, “Go up this way into the South, and go up to the mountains, Numbers 13:17
- “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.” — Deu 33:27a (NKJV)
- “Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever.” — Psalm 125:1-2 (NKJV)
- “Your dwelling place and your home is in My arms. As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so am I round about My people forever. Don’t reject My embrace”— Marie Chapian, His Thoughts Towards Me, Page16.
- “Then the LORD turned to him and said, “Go in this might of yours, and you shall save Israel from the hand of the Midianites. Have I not sent you?” So he said to Him, “O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.” And the LORD said to him, “Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat the Midianites as one man.” Then he said to Him, “If now I have found favor in Your sight, then show me a sign that it is You who talk with me.”Do not depart from here, I pray, until I come to You and bring out my offering and set it before You.” And He said, “I will wait until you come back.” — Judges 6:14-18 (NKJV)
- “And as He walked by the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. Then Jesus said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” They immediately left their nets and followed Him.” — Mark1:16-18 (NKJV)
- “Then Moses said to the Lord, “O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.” So the Lord said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say.” — Exodus 4:10-12 (NKJV)